Thursday 5 November 2015

Etched Mixed Media Look


Hi Everybody!

As you can see I am back with another Spotlight Feature over at the STAMPlorations Blog.

Today I'm showing you how to transform a stamped flower without colouring by simply adding some lines using a Micron pen to create an etched look centerpiece for your cards, a technique I picked up at my monthly Craft Club meetings. I think Gloria was showing us how to do it, it was a while ago, and my memory for names is terrible. Sorry, if I got it wrong, but I did ask if I could share this fab technique and got a resounding 'yes'.

For today's project I combined my etched look Dogwood Large with a mixed media style background using stamps from the Mixed Media Elements, STAMPlorations current Stamp Club set, and Mixed Media Grunge sets plus a sentiment from The Birds And The Blooms set.


Stamp the dogwood in black ink and add some lines to the flowers using a fine tip pen. Before adding the lines it is best to have a little look at your image and imagine how the petals might shape. There are already a few lines in the image which will help you with this. I personally find it easiest using a flicking motion towards me rather than drawing or flicking away from me. It also helps me not to think too much, that way I achieve a more natural look. It might look and sound a little complicated but is actually very easy to do, and today's video shows you how I went about creating the etched effect for my dogwood. I would encourage you to give it a try and see what suits you best.

For my background, I applied some Summer Sun and More Mustard inks to my blending mat, spritzed with water and picked the colour up with a piece of white card.
Next I added the script in Summer Sun and some texture in Summer Sun and More Mustard using stamps from the Mixed Media Elements set before finishing my background with the chevrons from the Mixed Media Grunge set, some doodles and spritzing.
I then stamped my sentiment, layered on my black base card, added matching paper twine, fuzzy cut the dogwood and popped it up on foam pads to finish my card.

I am entering my card at:

Sisters of Craft - Anything Goes
Crafts Galore Encore - use a stamp or digi

As mentioned earlier there is a video tutorial which covers how I made my background and how I added the lines to all three flowers and stem. This should hopefully give you a good idea on how to do this technique.



That's it from me for today. I would love to see your creations using the etching technique. Pop over to the STAMPlorations Blog and leave a comment to win. :-)
Have a lovely day!

hugs
Monika xxx

here is what I used:
DogwoodLARGE thebirdsandtheblooms-web-preview MixedMediaElements-preview.jpeg SheryRuss_MixedMediaElements 

Baisc Black Stamp'n'write Marker, Summer Sun and More Mustard ink - Stampin'Up!
paper twine - The Works
Black Memento ink, Micron Pen 05
Spritzing tool

5 comments:

  1. Love the dogwood flowers Monika. Hope you are keeping well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monika, thank you for the video, I was truly inspired and made a card after watching. It is posted on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card and fab tutorial. I love CASE-ing the DT and this is on my list tomorrow...looks like a dogwood stamp is next on my order.. Only just received another order today....xx  { aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting techinque! I also love your gorgeous background, the way you incorporated those beautiful stamps into the background. Thank you for entering the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge, “Use a stamp or digi”. We hope to see you back again soon! Karola, CGE DT, InvisiblePinkCards

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great card - thanks for joining us at the Sisters of Craft Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Your comments are very much appreciated. Have a lovely day! Hugs XXX