Friday 27 November 2015

Altering Boxes

Hi All,

It's Inspiration Time again over at STAMPlorations. The project I would like to share with you today is a little box turned tea chest. I made two of these as a gift for a couple of friends from two lightweight wooden boxes. The idea was that they were small and light enough to carry a couple of tea bags in to work.


I started off removing the metal bits and coating the wooden parts with gesso. Next I applied a coat of dark grey emulsion from a match pot (couldn't find my acrylic paints, arrghh), followed by a thin coat of plum emulsion and and a coat of gold metallic acrylic paint.

TIP!: I intentionally applied thin coats as I wanted the underlying colours to show through. The gold acrylic gives a translucent finish and depending on light you can see more or less of the grey/plum base.

Once dry I stamped the little tea cups from the Sketchy Coffee Cups set in black archival and the leaf from the Frames and Flowers set in sepia archival ink which gave a nice coppery look. Once the ink had dried I added some highlights to the cups using a Tan Promarker and LV3 Spectrum Noir Marker.

I cut a piece of acetate and attached it to the inside of my lid, followed by a matching piece of plum card with a heart aperture. I then filled the heart shape in the lid with some matching sequins and glitter before attaching an acetate heart and plum frame with copper highlights (using copper pigment ink).

Here are some more photos of my box ...




I am entering my box at:
Crafty Calendar - Sparkle, Bling and Embellish
Sisters of Craft - Anything Goes

Hope you'll feel inspired to try something different whether it be using paints or creating a mixed media project. Should you fancy CASEing my project, and it doesn't have to be a box, elements from this can be used on a card or tag, or any of the ones my teamies made, it would be great if you could link up up with the Inspiration CASE Playground. Looking forward to seeing your creations.

Have a lovely weekend!

hugs
Monika xxx

here is what I used, links to the stamp sets are in the above text:
SRD-SketchyCoffeeCups-preview preview-DAIFramesandFlowers
little wooden box - The Works

6 comments:

  1. This is sooooo cool! What a unique textural project!! Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I just see a fabulous transformation of a box...what a wonderful project! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh... I Love this box! What a great gift for my sister who drinks nothing but tea! Thanks for a great gift idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Monika and a really great idea too.

    Thanks for joining us at the Crafty Calendar Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Your comments are very much appreciated. Have a lovely day! Hugs XXX