Thursday 1 August 2013

Shadow Box Card Tutorial

Hello Everybody,
time for another tutorial, a simple shadow box card inspired by a tutorial I saw in 'Quick Cards Made Easy'. The image I used is a digi stamp from the Louis Wain Adorable Kittens collection by Nicecrane Designs. Before printing I set the image width to 8.5 cm.



You need 2 pieces of card/thick pretty paper 14 x 14.5cm (the 14 cms will be across the top), a die cut frame (I used two nesties dies to create mine), word window punch (Stampin'Up!), metal embellishments, Hougie Board or any other scoring board (in cm) and tool.

 
Step1:        Place your card with a 14cm edge at the top on your score board and score lines at 2cm, 2 cm, 12 cm and 13 cm. Repeat on the second piece.

 
Step2:        Cut your image to size

 
Step3:    Mark on the reverse side of one piece of card where you need your frame to go, which I marked with a central line, ...

  and where your sentiment needs to go. I marked the approximate bottom edge for the sentiment with a line. This will help me to align my word window punch alternatively you could mark a window to be cut using a craft knife.
 
 
Step 4:      Align your cutting die with your mark and put through your die cutting machine.
 

 
Step 5:     Your window needs to be a little wider than the actual punched shape. to do this align the word window punch with your mark towards one end and punch. align it towards the other end and punch again.


This is how it will fit together:

 
Step 6:    Fold along your score lines, your two pieces need to fit together like this

 
Step 7:    If you wish to round your image corners. Adhere your image to the back panel as shown.

 
Step 8:     Apply glue up to your first fold as shown and adhere to the corresponding tab of your card front, repeat on the other side. I tend to use glue for precise positioning, feel free to use tape, if you prefer.

 
The two pieces of your card should fit together like this:


 
Step 9:     Add your circular frame to the front and embellish with flat metal studs.


Enjoy!!!


 
Please let me know how you're getting on. I would love to see your projects.
Back soon.
Happy Crafting!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this tuto,,,,,I´ll post a direct link to it in my blog,,,,and waht a great idea to use my adorable kitten,,,,,,,Monikaaaa, wow,wwwwowww I am going to leave some lovwe words in your blog.......Yeahhhhh....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Your comments are very much appreciated. Have a lovely day! Hugs XXX